The Molot Compressor
This free compressor has a distinctive sound allowing its usage for technical dynamic range compression but also for artistic sound coloration...
Молот is a stereo and mono audio signal dynamic range compressor implemented in VST format.
The Молот compressor is generally designed for use on groups of instruments (busses) due to special optimal sounding characteristics and due to relatively high CPU load, which limits the number of compressor instances. Nonetheless the compressor can also be successfully used on separate audio tracks.
This compressor has a distinctive sound allowing its usage not only for technical purpose of dynamic range compression but also for artistic sound coloration, which happens due to usage of saturation with even harmonics, dithering that gives effect of air and oversampling with non-linear phase response that gives an effect of depth.
All these above-listed features can optionally be switched off.
The Molot compressor is not an emulation of any hardware or software compressor. But in usage cases listed below audible results can be compared to the following well-known compressors:
1) for drum buss: Neve 33609
2) for lead vocal: Tube-Tech CL 1B
3) for master buss: Fairchild 670
Besides a main dynamic range compression module also contains limiting module (limiter), which allows controlling peaks passing through the compressor, mid-range equalizer module doing ISO 226 curves equalization1 and input signal or gain reduction VU-meter with lamp indicator for limiter operation control. The Molot compressor has an adjustable high-pass filter for side chain signal and also supports parallel compression and M/S operational mode.
- Aggressive hammering sound.
- Suits for rock drums and bass.
- Can be used on tracks and busses.
- Very clean sound.
- Switchable sigmoid attack curve.
- Smooth saturation.
- Mid-scoop EQ for simple tonal balance fix.
- Built-in limiter for peaks suppressing.
- Almost zero latency (2 samples).
- Up to 8x oversampling.
- USSR military style GUI.
- Switchable language EN/RU.
- VST Windows x64 version;
- VST Windows x86 version (CPU with SSE2 support required);
- VST Mac OS X 32-bit version.